Monday 26 March 2018

... and Lotto fails me again.

Well, I didn't win Lotto, again. So I suppose that means I can't buy that dream car, or dream home, or even dream holiday. Damn!

Still, thinking about it is somewhat revealing. For all the smart choices made in my life - choices that have meant financial stability if not luxury - I HAVE thought about what I would buy with a big Lotto win. Maybe it's true that too many people have "Win the lottery" as their retirement plan.

So, how would I spend $25,000,000?

1. A dream house? Probably not. The house I already own is pretty cool, with the only downside a lack of secure parking. If I were to go through the hassle of moving again, I would want parking for  AT LEAST eight cars, with workshop space, and a hoist. Maybe I could buy the place next door, and "remodel".

2. A dream car? Probably, but which one? Every time I think of a new car, I get caught in the conflict between wanting the best I can get, and the idea of value for money. Do I need a NEW car, or should I let somebody else pay the depreciation? Maybe a lightly used ex-lease vehicle? The latest Porsche 911 Turbo, or a one year old Carrera S? Since the capabilities of the Turbo are almost impossible to test on the road (versus track), I think a nicely optioned lesser model would do just fine - and saving (as in not spending) >$200,000 wouldn't hurt either.

3. A dream holiday? Almost certainly. I've never been to Europe, and I get the feeling that it won't be a somewhat safe travel destination for much longer. Maybe a river cruise from Budapast, with stops at Zuffenhausen (for the Porsche museum), and Stuttgart (for the Mercedes museum), and then I can wing it for the rest. Perhaps buy a new 911 with tourist delivery, and pick it up at the factory, then tour Europe by road for a while.

4. A dream boat? No. Owning a big boat is like having a hole in the water into which you shovel money. Not going to happen.

With that sort of money, I wonder how much life would actually change. There would likely be more trappings of wealth, but as to real change? Probably not much.


No comments: