Wednesday 9 May 2007

Hey, that's MY money..

The Federal budget has been handed down like Moses' tablets, and everybody is happy in the Land of Oz.

Except me I suppose.

I can't help wondering why nobody is complaining about the last line in most news reports. The one about the forecast surplus being AUD$10+ billion.

What on earth is wrong with people?

According to reports, the Australian Federal Government paid off its foreign debt several years ago. So that means that the Commonwealth of Australia owes no foreigner any money, and the government doesn't need to collect taxes to make the payments on non-existent loans.

(The PEOPLE of the Commonwealth of Australia are a different thing entirely, they are apparently up to their eyeballs in debt; most of it owed for nice shiny imports.)

So this government is proposing to take $10 billion more then they are committed to spending over the next year, not to repay debt, but just because they can, and nobody is complaining?

Like I said, that's MY money. I don't want it back in vote-buying handouts, I don't want them to take it in the first place.

No comments: